You can hear the audio podcast here: https://nerdnoiseradio.podbean.com/e/noise-from-the-heart-of-nerds-c1e59-the-falcom-episode-featuring-hugues/
Today’s broadcast is C1E59, for Theme Thursday, Oct 14th, 2021. Today’s Theme is a focus on music from games by Falcom, on a program we’re simply calling “The Falcom Episode”.
SPECIAL UP-FRONT NOTE 1: This episode is EXTRA SPECIAL for three reasons: 1) it is curated and hosted (and produced) by Hugues Johnson of Nerd Noise Radio Channel 2, and Retro Game Club, 2) it is the first episode in the ENTIRE HISTORY of Nerd Noise Radio that was not at least partially produced by St. John (St. John DID handle these show notes, though*), and 3) it is our half of a special collaboration with Trey Johnson of W.A.R.T. Radio and Nintendomain, who are also releasing a Falcom-themed episode today. Although, “synchronization” is probably a much better word here than “collaboration”. We didn’t listen to each other’s episodes ahead of time, nor did we share and compare track lists. We simply decided to coordinate the simulcast of our Falcom episodes once we discovered the other was also making one, and decided to each treat them as halves of an informal two-parter. So, we look forward to joining you, the listener, in discovering together just how much or little overlap there is between them.
*= Tracklist and timestamp info originally provided by Hugues, but reformatted for the notes by St. John into our standard “track number, track name, game name, system(s), composer, timestamp format.
SPECIAL UP-FRONT NOTE 2: Typically, the composer credits on Falcom games simply say “Falcom Sound Team JDK, as opposed to listing specific composers, leaving the composer shrouded in mystery, and devoid of the credit they deserve. But thanks to the wondrous, arduous work done by The Falcom Composer Breakdown Project (link can be found below the tracklist), we now have a much better idea of just who was behind each track. Presumed Composers, as found on The Falcom Composer Breakdown Project will be provided for each track in the tracklist, as well as in the episode outro.
Track# - Track - Game - System - Presumed Composer - Timestamp
01) Intro - 00:00:00
02) Genesis Beyond the Beginning - Ys Origin - PC / PS4 / Switch - Ryo Takeshita - 00:01:59
03) The Legend of Xanadu - Xanadu - PC Engine (CD) - Yoshiya Takahashi - 00:04:15
04) Daybreak - Faxanadu - NES - Jun Chikuma - 00:06:52
05) Snowbound Sacred Mountain - Nayatu no Kiseki - PSP - Saki Momiyama - 00:07:49
06) Defend and Escape - Ys VI - PC / PSP / PS2 - Maiko Hattori - 00:10:09
07) Guruguru Majin De Pon - Gurumin - PC / PSP / 3DS - Takahide Murayama - 00:14:28
08) Jungle - Popful Mail - PC Engine (CD) - c: Atsushi Shirakawa / a: Hirofumi Matsuoka - 00:18:17
09) A Heretic Researcher - Trails of Cold Steel III - PC / PS4 / Switch - Hayato Sonoda - 00:19:31
10) Cave - Brandish - PC Engine (CD) - Atsushi Shirakawa - 00:22:22
11) Fantasy Pastel Normal - Lord Monarch - PC - Atsushi Shirakawa - 00:24:38
12) Town - Legend of Heroes 1 - Sega Saturn - Mieko Ishikawa - 00:26:29
13) Survey Legwork - Tokyo Xanadu - PC / Vita / PS4 - Hayato Sonoda - 00:28:09
14) Tripolka Lake - Zwei - PC / PSP / PS2 - Maiko Hattori - 00:30:43
15) Origins of the Earth - Trails in the Sky the 3rd - PC / PSP - Takahiro Unisuga - 00:34:34
16) La Noche Triste - Asteka II - PC88 - Takahito Abe - 00:37:44
17) Feel at Home - Trails of Cold Steel IV - PC / PS4 / Switch - Hayato Sonoda - 00:39:54
18) Division - Brandish VT - PC - Naoki Kaneda - 00:41:50
19) Ryo Ni Kaero - Trails of Cold Steel - PC / Vita PS3 / PS4 - Tomokatsu Hagiuda - 00:43:54
20) Afternoon in Crossbell - Zero no Kiseki - PC / PSP - Takahiro Unisuga - 00:47:14
21) Illusion - Ys IV - PC Engine (CD) - Atsushi Shirakawa - 00:49:37
22) Oldium Shrine - Zwei II - PC - Ryo Takeshita - 00:51:42
23) Enforcers - Trails in the Sky SC - PC / PSP - Takehide Murayama - 00:54:07
24) Delusion of a Thousand Years - Ao No Kiseki - PC / PSP - Saki Momiyama - 00:55:55
25) Marionette, Marionette - Ys IX - PS4 - Mitsuo Singa - 00:58:07
26) Chester’s Theme - Oath in Felghana - PC / PSP - c: Masaaki Kawai a: Yukihiro Jindo - 01:00:25
27) Turning Death Spiral - Ys V - Super Famicom - Satoshi Arai - 01:03:22
28) Ruins of Moondoria - Ys II Chronicles - PC / PSP - Hideya Nagata - 01:06:01
29) Road to Solitary Death - Ys Seven - PC / PSP - Saki Momiyama - 01:08:44
30) Silver Will - Trails in the Sky FC - PC / PSP - Wataru Ishibashi - 01:10:56
31) Sunshine Coastline - Ys VIII - PC / Vita / PS4 / Switch - Takahiro Unisuga - 01:13:19
32) Field - Legend of Heroes II - PC Engine (CD) - Mieko Ishikawa - 01:16:31
33) See You Again - Ys - PC88 - Yuzo Koshiro - 01:19:27
34) Irreplaceable You - Trails of Cold Steel 2 - PC / Vita / PS3 PS4 - Takahiro Unisuga - 01:23:45
35) Invitation for the New World - Xanadu II - PC Engine (CD) - Atsushi Shirakawa - 01:23:45
36) A Tear of Vermilion: Memoria - The Legend of Heroes IV - PC / PSP - Masaru Nakajima - 01:25:03
37) Ending 1 - Sorcerian - PC88 - Yuzu Koshiro - 01:26:46
38) Outro: 01:30:54
Music Block Runtime: 01:28:58 Total Episode Runtime: 01:43:29
Our Standard Intro and Outro Music (which you get to hear for about five seconds) is Funky Radio - Jet Grind Radio - Dreamcast - BB Rights
Our Special Intro and Outro Music is Beep Magazine - Falcom Mega Mix - unknown composer (so, Falcom Sound Team JDK)
You can find the Falcom Composer Breakdown Project here:
Hugues’ website can be found at https://HuguesJohnson.com/
You can subscribe to the Retro Game Club podcast here:
Or connect with them on social media at:
Nintendomain Podcast (as opposed to “Nintendo Domain”, to answer that question) can be found at:
Or on social media at:
Facebook (page): https://www.facebook.com/nintendomainpodcast
Facebook (group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/290368051669515
And you can find the W.A.R.T. Falcom episode, which is the parallel to our episode here:
[GO BACK AND EDIT IN LINK FROM TREY HERE!]
The "Nerd Noise Radio" audio podcast feed can be found here:
NOTICE: The "Nerd Noise Radio - RERUNS!" feed will be going away after December of 2021, and consolidating its output with the main feed. However, in the meanwhile, it will remain active with rerun content, and can be found here:
Our YouTube Channel, for the time being is in dormancy, but will be returning with content, hopefully, in 2022. Meanwhile, all the old stuff is still there, and can be found here:
Nerd Noise Radio is also available on The Retro Junkies Network at www.theretrojunkies.com, and is a member of the VGM Podcast Fans community at
Or, if you wish to connect with us directly, we have two groups of our own:
Nerd Noise Radio - Easy Mode: https://www.facebook.com/groups/276843385859797/ for sharing tracks, video game news, or just general videogame fandom.
Nerd Noise Radio - Expert Mode: https://www.facebook.com/groups/381475162016534/ for going deep into video game sound hardware, composer info, and/or music theory.
You can also follow us on Twitter at @NerdNoiseRadio. And we are also now on Spotify, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, and Vurbl.
Thanks for listening! Join us again in December on Channel 1 for a special team up between St. John, Trey Johnson of Nintendomain and W.A.R.T. Radio, and a bunch of listeners. Also join us in December on Channel 2 for our first ever “Best of” episode - “Best of Season 1”, featuring St. John and Hugues. And lastly, join us in December on the dedicated Rerun feed as a going away celebration - an all-new episode that will be a timed exclusive for the listeners over there....and wherever you are....Fly the N!!!