Sunday, May 3, 2015

VGM-FACE OFF PRIMER ADDENDUM: Part 3 of 10: Mega Man 1 TRACK OFF!

For the Introduction/explanation to this mini-series, here's Part 1. The original VGM FACE OFF Primer post this is all based off of can be found here. For your convenience, here are the tracks again. Please listen to them BEFORE reading my write-up:

NES:



Genesis:



In the case of the Mega Man 1 TRACK OFF: 

Which version was the original version? NES - DUH!

Familiarity/Novelty disclosure: The Genesis version is definitely novelty. I first played Mega Man 1 in 1991 at age 11. I actually got a copy not too much later. I still have that same copy....I've never even played Wily Wars.

System sound preference disclosure: I definitely prefer the Genesis hardware to the NES hardware.

My verdict: Genesis (via Wily Wars)

Why? It retains the vibe of the original perfectly, only it's much richer, and fuller, with more going on, but nothing more going on. Nice use of the PSG keeps the old school sound there, but the FM dominant voices also bring it to the next level.


Was it a close contest? DEFINITELY!

So, what about you? Agree? Disagree? Think I'm totally nuts? There's a comments section. Light it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment